Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"City Confection"


So, I have been going to the Art Institute for Fashion Design for the past year and have been getting into the nitty gritty of sewing these past 6 months.  I've been through two Clothing Construction classes, Textile and Fabrication Analysis, and Trend Forecasting.  My favorite class, though, has been Patternmaking.  I once heard a professor say that patternmaking is the "make or break" moment for a Fashion Design student.  And I can definitely agree.  Luckily, I fell IN LOVE with this class and it led me to search for a patternmaking internship.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah.  Let's get to my final project!!!

 Eeeeee!!!  I am so proud of it, can you tell??  I decided to do two pieces, so the top is a peplum sleeveless blouse with a Peter Pan collar and the bottom is a simple pencil skirt.
 The top has a separating zipper and the pencil skirt has an invisible zipper.
 The top was a little big on the form, and if time had allowed I would have taken it in, but that was my last priority.
 The top has an all-in-one facing with a Hong Kong finish, and I lined the peplum with a beautiful cream-colored lining.  Can you tell that my inspiration was a cupcake??  I named the garment "City Confection."

 Don't pay attention to the fact that my kick pleat overlaps the opposite way of the "correct" way.  Just pay attention to the fact that I did a lined vent!!!  This process was not without tears, and I actually had to RE-DO it twice!  But let me tell you, if it had not been for the most amazing tutorial on YouTube, I would have been up s*%# creek without a paddle.  People, I have to share it with it you, not only because it is amazing, but because the guy in the video has a cute little accent as well;)






I literally have gotten 8 hours of sleep combined over the last 3 days, so needless to say, I'm due for a big ol' nap.  All for now!

2 comments:

  1. Very, very pretty! Lovely work. Hope that you continue having great fun at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene! It was blood, sweat, and tears, but a true labor of love.

      Delete